Certificate of Fitness and Transport Service Licence Number

In New Zealand, all motor vehicles that are going to be used as rentals need to go through a Certificate of Fitness (CoF), a 6-monthly legal requirement which will supersede your current Warrant of Fitness (WoF) to ensure that it meets all required safety standards. We recommend going to a local VTNZ to get this completed.

As well as getting a CoF, because your vehicle will be used for rental purposes you need to change over its usage and operate under a Transport Service License (TSL). At the VTNZ, simply inform the staff that you need a COF and you’d like to change the usage from Private to a Rental because you’re using the SHAREaCAMPER platform.


You have two options when it comes to a TSL number.


Option 1

Use the SHAREaCAMPER TSL. There is no cost to use our TSL number, however please be aware that when you do, SHAREaCAMPER is obliged to charge you GST on top of the 15% commission. You will find this GST component on your booking summaries. 

If you’re GST registered you can look into claiming back the GST component we charge. Please contact SHAREaCAMPER for more information.


Here are the SHAREaCAMPER TSL details


Licence Number: 0253330

License version: 004

Full name of license: SAC - SHARE A CAMPER PTY LTD


Option 2

Purchase your own TSL number. You can get your own TSL number for $478.60. It is a one off fee that lasts a lifetime and you can list as many vehicles on it as you’d like. If you do purchase your own TSL number, we at SHAREaCAMPER do not charge you extra GST on top of our 15% commission however we do recommend you speak to your tax specialist.

For more information, head to the New Zealand Transport Authority website:



It should be nice and straightforward, but please contact us if you're having any difficulties.

Certificate of Fitness:

In New Zealand all rental vehicles must have a CoF. This will only affect Owners of small campervans, with a gross laden weight of less than 3,500 kg, as any camper van with a gross laden weight of more than 3,500 kg is required to have a CoF anyway.

Please note: The CoF does have different requirements to a Warrant of Fitness, however if your camper is well maintained then there should be no major problems. Click here for more information into getting a CoF.